About the Role:
American Documentary seeks an enthusiastic and experienced Director of Marketing and Communications to drive our brand-building and audience development initiatives. The director will oversee the promotion of our content, programs, and events to national audiences and lead brand communications, including newsletter, website, and press strategy. They will be an effective communicator and strong collaborator who can manage multiple projects while continuously striving for execution at the highest level. The ideal candidate will be a proactive brand champion who enjoys digging into data as much as finding just the right image or turn of phrase. Individuals with a background in multicultural marketing and communications are highly encouraged to apply. As an integral member of our team, the director will represent AmDoc in the field and amplify the organization's work in nonfiction curation, engagement, and innovation, as well as our commitment to centering diverse voices and authentic narratives. This position reports to the Vice President of External Relations and will work closely with staff across the organization as well as filmmakers, press, and industry on a regular basis.
About the Department:
The external affairs department leads AmDoc branding, messaging, and positioning efforts to increase awareness, audiences, and support for our work. This position will work closely with senior leadership, staff, consultants, and industry partners and regularly interface with external stakeholders.
Leadership & Supervision
- Manage strategic marketing and communications operations, including budgeting, consultant contracting and vendor management, calendar planning, and supervision of staff, consultants, and interns
- Provide thought leadership and professional insight to staff and stakeholders
- Liaise with filmmakers, media, industry, PBS HQ, and local stations
- Represent the organization publicly in the field and to the media as relevant
Brand Communications & Public Relations
- With senior leadership, oversee a comprehensive communications plan for the organization and its signature programs, with consistent and measurable touchpoints for press, industry, stations, and general viewers
- Drive AmDoc’s media strategy to raise the public profile of the organization and programs, including awards submissions, press outreach, and opportunities for media training and speaking engagements for staff, artists, and protagonists when appropriate
- Lead key communications platforms and product development, including collateral, newsletters, websites, and public remarks, with a focus on high level messaging and audience insights
- Work with senior leadership and stakeholders to refresh brand strategy that establishes visual guidelines, shared language, and audience growth opportunities
Marketing & Promotions
- Oversee robust marketing campaigns for AmDoc shows, programs, and events, with defined audiences, objectives, outcomes, messaging, and activities across relevant channels
- Maintain and grow advertising and public media partnerships that provide cross-promotional, sponsored, and in-kind opportunities to increase awareness and audiences for our work
- Evaluate sponsorship opportunities that promote the organization to target and prospective audiences, including occasional travel to industry events and conferences for research and/or in-person representation
- Collaborate with program staff to improve audience data collection and interpretation across the organization, including debriefing meetings with actionable insights that allow us to better understand and improve our work
- Minimum 8 years experience in communications, marketing, or public relations, and familiarity with independent film and/or public media landscape
- Excellent collaboration, problem-solving skills, and coaching with a team-oriented leadership style
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders; fluency in additional language(s) a plus
- Proven ability to develop, direct and evaluate data-driven marketing and communications plans
- Knowledge of, and experience with, inclusive multicultural marketing and communication best practices
- Appreciation for AmDoc’s mission and programs and understanding of nonprofit values
- Local NY candidates preferred, with the ability to travel in the U.S. (between 10-20% and dependent on evolving COVID-19 practices)
- Project Management Programs (e.g. Asana, Slack)
- Basic HTML and CMS (e.g. Wagtail, WordPress)
- Google Analytics, digital marketing, and social listening tools
- Database management (e.g. Cision, Salesforce, or similar programs)
- Cloud-based productivity programs (e.g. G Suite)
Classification and Salary:
This is a full-time, exempt position with an annual salary in the range of $75,000-78,000, commensurate with experience. American Documentary's comprehensive benefits package includes but is not limited to medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverage, paid time off and public holidays, and a 403(b) retirement/employer matching plan.
The position is headquartered at AmDoc’s offices in Brooklyn but will be remote until further notice and pending health and safety protocols during the global pandemic.
The position has a target start date of September 15, 2021. If the posting is live at www.amdoc.org/careers/ applications are still being considered. Please send a cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: [YOUR NAME] - Director, Marketing & Communications.
About American Documentary, Inc.
American Documentary, Inc. (AmDoc) American Documentary (AmDoc) is a NY-based media arts organization that strives to make essential documentaries accessible as a catalyst for public discourse. We collaborate with passionate filmmakers to amplify their voices, and to nurture the nonfiction community.
The American Documentary, Inc. is a diverse and Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO.) Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without discrimination.