About the Role:
The POV Engage outreach coordinator will support the department’s work on national outreach on film impact campaigns. This individual will support free screening events, panels, and webinars that utilize film and nonfiction works to share knowledge, highlight organizing efforts and inspire both individual and community action. As an integral member of our team, the coordinator will offer independent films and educational materials to community groups, educators, and librarians in the field and amplify the organization’s work in engagement, as well as our commitment to centering diverse voices and authentic narratives.
The ideal candidate will be an exceptional listener who immensely enjoys interactions with new people as much as building up inclusive spaces intended for critical thinking and learning. This position reports to the outreach and impact manager and will work closely with staff across the organization as well as educators, national community partners, and filmmakers on a regular basis. Individuals with a background in community organizing, facilitating multicultural groups, and planning for accessibility are highly encouraged to apply.
About the Department:
The POV Engage department implements outreach strategies for positioning documentaries to open minds and advance social justice. We work to forge better connections between the people, public media, classrooms, and community spaces committed to inclusion and belonging. POV Engage mobilizes regional PBS stations and their neighboring community spaces to design locally-curated screening events and outreach activities that enhance participatory storytelling, public discourse, and civic action while utilizing POV films and companion educational resources.
Research and Relationship Management
- Research and connect mission-driven organizations and individuals to global, independent films
- Identify key players, generate interest, and connect with prospective new audiences to build relationships and increase film partnerships
- Leverage and nurture our Community Network relationships to strategically match partners to content/resources
- Identify and source partnership opportunities through lead follow-up and outbound emails
- Build vital relationships with diverse communities and underrepresented groups including people with disabilities, young people, and people who have experienced incarceration
- Deliver in-person outreach and organize thematic, virtual events and newsletters to engage educators and community organizers
- Utilize a systematic, process-driven approach to partner outreach and relationship management
- Represent the organization publicly to meet with relevant organizations and establish partnerships
Audience Care & Communications
- Collaborate with team members to center care and high-quality experience in event planning and partner communications
- Utilize digital tools to document, track, and report audience responses, event outcomes, and usage of educational materials
- Administer multiple evaluation tools to measure audience reach and film impact
- Lead operational support of select virtual events involving technical logistics and rehearsals
- Maintain and grow community partnerships that provide creative opportunities to increase awareness
- 2-3 years of experience or equivalent level of knowledge in community outreach, independent media, national campaigns, and/or social justice organizations
- Strong interest in public media with a demonstrated success working in a collaborative team environment
- Enthusiastic, flexible team player who has the willingness to acquire new skills
- Ability to research independently, synthesize, and provide information for use in outreach efforts
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills and the ability to work with integrity on behalf of a diverse range of stakeholders; detail-oriented; fluency in additional language(s) a plus
- Appreciation for AmDoc’s mission and programs and understanding of nonprofit values
- Project Management Programs (e.g. Asana)
- Zoom or other video conferencing tools
- MailChimp, digital marketing, and social media tools
Classification and Salary:
This is a full-time, exempt position with an annual salary in the range of $50,000-55,000, commensurate with experience. American Documentary's comprehensive benefits package includes but is not limited to medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverage, paid time off and public holidays, and a 403(b) retirement/employer matching plan.
The position is headquartered at AmDoc’s offices in Brooklyn but will be remote until further notice and pending health and safety protocols during the global pandemic.
The position has a target start date of June 27, 2022. If posting is live at www.amdoc.org/careers/ applications are still being considered. Please send a cover letter and resumé to email@example.com with the subject heading: [YOUR NAME] - Outreach Coordinator, POV Engage.
About American Documentary, Inc.
American Documentary, Inc. (AmDoc) is a NY-based media arts organization that strives to make essential documentaries accessible as a catalyst for public discourse. We collaborate with passionate filmmakers to amplify their voices, and to nurture the nonfiction community.
The American Documentary, Inc. is a diverse and Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO.) Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without discrimination.