About the Role:
American Documentary invites an experienced and highly motivated director to champion our fundraising efforts as we enter our landmark 35th season. This position will oversee year-round donor relations activities and day-to-day development operations, including grants administration, with support from our growing team of development staff and consultants. They will serve as a key liaison with our core stakeholders and play an influential role in shaping organizational growth, emphasizing long-term balancing goals with team capacity. The ideal candidate will be a strong project manager with exceptional interpersonal communication skills who enjoys working the room as much as connecting over a call or casual coffee. We are looking for an individual who is interested in growing with the organization.
This position acts with independence and autonomy while keeping the vice president of external affairs and executive director closely informed along the way. They will supervise two direct reports and work closely with senior leadership, consultants, and industry partners.
The External Affairs department leads the organization’s branding, messaging, and positioning efforts to increase awareness, audiences, and support for our work. The director will represent AmDoc in the field and amplify the organization’s work in nonfiction curation, engagement, and innovation and our commitment to centering diverse voices and authentic narratives.
Leadership & Supervision
- Manage strategic operations of the development team, including budgeting, contracting, calendar planning, and supervising staff, consultants, and interns
- Work closely with the executive director and senior leadership to design and implement a robust fundraising plan with measurable objectives for institutional advancement.
- Steward growing portfolio of active and prospective stakeholders, including individual donors, funders, board members, and industry partners
- With senior leadership and development staff, year-round drive individual giving activities, including prospect research, moves management, and stewardship.
- Plan and produce quarterly touchpoints and campaigns, including cultivation and fundraising events, personal follow-up, and multi-channel direct appeals
- Work closely with the marketing and communications team to produce consistent and compelling stakeholder collateral, including invitations, newsletters, and campaign assets.
Operations & Administration
- Oversee day-to-day grants administration and ensure timelines and expectations are clearly communicated with consultants and program staff
- Monitor and identify new opportunities to uplift brand positioning, including industry awards, staff placements, and media coverage
- Work across the organization to amplify institutional storytelling via AmDoc newsletter and website, with an eye to improve workflows and information management, and overall increasing AmDoc’s pool of supporters.
- Proven experience in fundraising, sales or account management, and familiarity with media arts and/or social issues preferred
- Excellent collaboration, problem-solving skills, and coaching with a team-oriented leadership style
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills and the ability to work tactfully with a diverse range of stakeholders; fluency in additional language(s) a plus
- Passionate about growing an organization and taking a hands-on approach to building the systems and team needed to achieve strategic goals
- Appreciation for AmDoc’s mission and programs and understanding of nonprofit values
- Local NY candidates preferred, with the ability to travel in the U.S. for meetings and industry events (between 10-15% and dependent on evolving COVID-19 practices)
- Project Management Programs (we use Asana)
- Cloud-based productivity programs (we use G Suite)
- Presentation platforms (we use Google Slides or Prezi)
- Database management (we use Kindful)
Classification and Salary:
This is a full-time, exempt position with an annual salary in the range of $80,000-$85,000, commensurate with experience. American Documentary’s comprehensive benefits package includes but is not limited to medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverage, paid time off and public holidays, and a 403(b) retirement/employer matching plan.
The position is headquartered at AmDoc’s offices in Brooklyn but will be remote until further notice and pending health and safety protocols during the global pandemic.
If the posting is live on our website, then applications are still being considered. Please send a cover letter and resumé to email@example.com with the subject heading: [YOUR NAME] - Director, Development.
About American Documentary, Inc.
American Documentary, Inc. (AmDoc) is a NY-based media arts organization that strives to make essential documentaries accessible as a catalyst for public discourse. We collaborate with passionate filmmakers to amplify their voices, and to nurture the nonfiction community.
The American Documentary, Inc. is a diverse and Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO.) Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without discrimination.