American Documentary, Inc. (AmDoc) is a national media arts organization that strives to make essential documentaries accessible as a catalyst for public discourse. We collaborate with passionate filmmakers to amplify their voices and nurture the nonfiction community.
The external affairs department leads AmDoc branding, messaging, and positioning efforts to increase awareness, audiences, and support for our work. This role will be part of the development team and work closely with marketing, communications, program, and finance staff to effectively execute organizational fundraising objectives.
American Documentary seeks an enthusiastic manager to join our growing development team. This position will oversee our evolving individual giving strategy, with an emphasis on the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors giving at least $1,000. They will drive year-round stakeholder engagement, from high-profile events to direct appeals across multiple channels. The manager will also play a key role in activating our network of artist alumni and industry leaders in new and dynamic ways. The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented and thoughtful “people person” who can effectively manage multiple projects with timeliness and tact.
The manager will report to the development director and work across the organization and with consultants on institutional priorities, including our 35th-anniversary programs in 2022-2023. This is a full-time position with occasional evening and weekend availability as required for special events and other departmental duties.
- Serve as primary liaison with key stakeholders including program officers, individual donors, industry leaders, and artist alumni
- Oversee day-to-day individual giving activities, including database management, prospect research, moves management, and stewardship, focusing on mid-level donors
- Lead planning and executing of major events and fundraising campaigns, including asset development, list management, direct appeals, and gift recognition
- Manage stakeholder communications calendar, including a monthly newsletter and personalized touchpoints for our growing portfolio of active and prospective funders
- Support leadership with research, briefing materials, and reporting information
- Attend, prepare for and actively participate in meetings, and represent the organization at events in the field
- Project Management Programs (e.g. Asana, Slack)
- Basic HTML and CMS (e.g. Wagtail, WordPress)
- Database management (e.g. Kindful, Salesforce, or similar programs)
- Cloud-based productivity programs (e.g. G Suite)
Classification and Salary:
This is a full-time, exempt position with an annual salary in the range of $60,000-65,000, commensurate with experience. American Documentary's comprehensive benefits package includes but is not limited to medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverage, paid time off and public holidays, and a 403(b) retirement/employer matching plan.
The position is headquartered at AmDoc’s offices in Brooklyn but will be remote until further notice and pending health and safety protocols during the global pandemic. Candidates must be willing to travel to NYC.
If the posting is live on our website, then applications are still being considered. Please send a cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: [YOUR NAME] - Manager, External Affairs.
The American Documentary, Inc. is a diverse and Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO.) Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without discrimination.